Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised June 2, 2017 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
June 5, 2017
· 5:30PM – Retirement Reception for Marilyn Walsh, Administrative Assistant
· 6:00 PM – Regular Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES (REF. POLICY 1440) – Minutes from the May 15, 2017 Regular Board Meeting as presented.4. BOARD REORGANIZATION (REF POLICY 1210).It will be necessary at this time to conduct the Reorganization of the Board by electing a new President and Vice-President.5. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
a. Request addition of item 11a.
6. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
a. Recognition of Kaylee Gumm's last School Board Meeting as Student Board Representative
7. PUBLIC COMMENTS - The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Comments will be taken in the following order:
1) Regarding Agenda items
2) Regarding general items
Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P).
8. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
a. Announcement of the new Student Board Representative for 2017-2019.
9. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL (REF. POLICY 1420): Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 188274 thru No. 188283 in the total amount of $5,158.23; and No. 188284 thru No. 188284 in the total amount of $17.36; and No. 18825 thru No. 188359 in the total amount of $187,965.66.
b. ASB Fund Vouchers No. 10864 thru No. 10889 in the total amount of $21,544.90.
c. Payroll for the month of May, 2017 in the total amount of $2,191,709.04.
d. Personnel - Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1) Accept Letter of Resignation from Anna Lee, Helen Haller Elementary Special Education teacher, effective at the end of the 2016-2007 school year, for the purpose of retirement, as presented.
2) Accept Letter of Resignation from Cecilia Buhrer, Olympic Peninsula Academy Enrichment Spanish Teacher, effective at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
3) Accept Letter of Resignation from Isabella Morrison, Sequim Middle School Science teacher, effective June 30, 2017 for the purpose of retirement, as presented.
4) Accept Letter of Resignation from Katelyn Wright, Helen Haller Elementary Paraeducator, effective at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
5) Accept Letter of Resignation from Wynelle Bridge, Sequim High School English Language Arts teacher, effective at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
Accept Letter of Resignation from Kimberly Williams, Helen Haller Elementary Paraeducator, for the 2017-2018 school year, as presented.
Accept Letter of Resignation from Suzanne Rego, Helen Haller Elementary Paraeducator, effective May 31, 2017 as presented. 8) Accept Leave of Absence Request from Olivia Catelli, Helen Haller Elementary Kindergarten teacher, for the 2017-2018 school, as presented.9) Accept Letter of Resignation from Mark Pincikowski, Sequim High School Assistant Swim Coach, effective immediately, as presented.
Accept Letter of Resignation from Trayce Norman, Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Superintendent, effective June 30, 2017 as presented.
10. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Offer Classified Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent position to Trayce Norman, effective July 1, 2017 as presented.
11. NEW BUSINESS
a. Adopt Resolution 04-2016/2017 Delegating Authority to WIAA, The School Board Resolution indicates annual school board approval for the member schools within the respective school district, as submitted on the WIAA Membership Renewal, to follow WIAA Rules and Regulations. Current Membership schools are Sequim High School and Sequim Middle School.b. Approve previously requested Overnight Travel Request for the High School ASB Leadership Team to conduct an ASB Officer Retreat at Ramblewood Group Camp, located at Sequim Bay State Park, June 1-2, 2017 as presented. Sean O’Mera – ASB Advisor.
c. Approve Overnight Request for the High School ASB Leadership Group to participate in teambuilding and decorating the school for the first day, sleeping in the High School Library the night of August 23, 2017 as presented. Sean O’Mera – ASB Advisor.d. Present Grade 6-12 English Language Arts Curriculum recommendation – Dr. Ann Renker, Assistant Superintendent
a. Update on the Strategic Planning process – Dr. David Engle, Facilitator
c. Career and Technical Education Report – Steve Mahitka, CTE Director
d. Superintendent’s Report
13. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o June 19th – 6:00pm Regular Board Meeting
o June 27 – Board Planning Workshop (Time and Place TBA)
o July 17th – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:00pm
o August 7th – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:00pm
o August 21st – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:00pm
o TUESDAY, September 5th – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:00pm
b. Graduation Activities June 2017
o June 9 @ 9am – High School Graduation Rehearsal
o June 9 @ 6pm in the Stadium – High School Graduation (Reserved seating for board)
o June 12 – Olympic Peninsula Academy Graduation from 1-3pm in the Auditorium
o June 14 – Sequim Middle School 8th Grade Moving On Ceremony @ 6pm in the Middle School Gym
o June 15 – Greywolf Elementary 5th Grade Moving On Ceremony @ 1:30pm in the Greywolf Elementary gym
o June 16 – Helen Haller Elementary 5th Grade Moving On Ceremony @ 9am in the Community School Gym
c. Other End of the School Year Activities
o June 7 @ 7:00pm – High School Band Concert in auditorium
o June 8 @ 7:00pm – High School Choir Concert in Auditorium
o June 9 @ 6:30pm – Middle School Band Concert in SMS gym
o June 13 from 4pm to 5:30pm – Retirees Reception in the High School library
o June 16th – Last Day of School (Early Release)
14. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER