Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised April 28, 2017 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
May 1, 2017
6:00pm Regular Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Request approval of the minutes from the April 17, 2017 Regular Board Meeting
4. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
5. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
7. PUBLIC COMMENTS - The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Comments will be taken in the following order:
1) Regarding Agenda items
2) Regarding general items
Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P).
8. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
a. Board president response to any action items from public comments
b. Regular board communication
c. Review last meeting’s exit slips
9. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
c. Payroll for the month of April, 2017 in the total amount of $2,186,781.05.
d. Personnel - Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1) Approve Leave of Absence Request from Jennifer Kent, Helen Haller Elementary Second Grade teacher, for the 2017-2018 school year, as presented.
2) Request to Rescind previously submitted Letter of Resignation, that was to be effective at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, from Tom Saffold, Sequim Middle School Drama Teacher, as presented.
10. OLD BUSINESS
a. None at this time
11. NEW BUSINESS
a. Overnight and Out-of-State travel request for the Sequim High School Basketball team to travel to Honolulu, Hawaii to participate in the Punahou Basketball Invitational from December 26th, 2017 through December 31, 2017 as presented. Dave Ditlefsen, Sequim High School Athletic Director
b. Overnight and Out-of-State travel request for the Sequim High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) to travel to Anaheim, California from June 27, 2017 thru July 3, 2017 to participate/compete in the National Leadership Conference, as presented. Mark Knudson, Sequim High School FBLA Advisor
a. Graduation Update and Freshmen interventions -- Erin Fox and Melee VanderVelde, Sequim High School Counselorsb. K-5 Physical Education Program Overview – Doug Hastings, Greywolf Elementary Physical Education teacherc. Assistant Superintendent’s Report -- Dr. Ann Renker
13. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o May 11 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o May 15 – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:00pm followed by an Executive Session
o Saturday, May 20 – WSSDA Regional Meeting in Bremerton from 10am-1pm
o May 25 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o June 5 – 5:30pm Reception for Retiring Administrative Assistant Marilyn Walsh with Regular Board Meeting @ 6pm. Student Board Representative Kaylee Gumm’s last board meeting!
o June 8 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o June 19 – Regular Board Meeting @ 6pm.
o June 22 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
b. Graduation Activities
o May 31 – Scholarship Awards Night
o June 4 – Baccalaureate @ Dungeness Community Church
o June 9 – 9am Practice, 6pm Sequim High School Graduation (Reserved seating for the board)
c. Other items of interest:
o May 4 through 20 – Sequim High School Operetta (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers)
o May 15-19 ~ School Board Candidate Filing Week!
o May 29 – Memorial Day – NO SCHOOL, District Office Closed!
o June 2-3 ~ Olympic Peninsula Academy Play Performance
o June 6 – Middle School Choir Concert and High School Band Concert @ 7pm
o June 7 – High School Choir Concert
o June 9 – Sequim High School Graduation!
o June 12 – Olympic Peninsula Academy Graduation and Awards Ceremony
June 16 – Last Day of School (Early Dismissal)
14. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER