Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Monday, November 16, 2015
5:30pm ~ Reception for Outgoing Board Members Walter Johnson, John Bridge and Heather Jeffers
6 PM ~ Regular Board Meeting
CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
President Beverly Horan called the Regular Meeting to Order at 6:10pm with all Board Members and Student Board Representatives present. The Pledge of Allegiance was conducted.
Bev Horan, President Jack Walsh, Citizen
Heather Jeffers, Vice-President Dave Mattingley
John Bridge, Director Jim Stoffer
Walter Johnson, Director Patsene Dashiell, District Office
Michael Howe, Director Steve Boots
Ben Hughes, Student Board Representative Linda DeIvernois
Kaylee Gumm, Student Board Representative Doug DeIvernois
Gary Neal, Superintendent Ardis Mangano
Marilyn Wash, Secretary Jim Peck
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Director John Bridge moved to approve the minutes from the November 2, 2015 Regular Board Meeting, as presented. Director Walter Johnson seconded. Vote taken; motion carried.
CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
Director Johnson moved to approve the agenda as printed. Director Bridge seconded. Vote taken, motion carried.
STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
· Student Board Representative Kaylee Gumm reported that at Helen Haller Elementary over 70 students are receiving extra help after school at Opportunity to Excel (OTE). On November 19th Greywolf Elementary will have a Book-It Theater watching a performance of “The Secret Garden”. Olympic Peninsula Academy’s Winter Festival will be held on December 11th from 10-2. Arts and crafts stations, games and a potluck luncheon will be enjoyed by OPA families and friends. Veteran’s Day assemblies at all the schools were very successful.
· Student Board Representative Ben Hughes reported that winter sports were just finishing up at Sequim Middle School. Middle School Staff just completed a training on the Smarter Balanced Assessment. At Sequim High School, ASB is getting ready for their annual Winter Wishes assembly. Something new this year is a “Thankful Wall”, where students can post things that they are thankful for.
PUBLIC COMMENTS - This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication from those in attendance who wish to speak on any item. The Board thanks you for your comments and will take into consideration what you have shared when making decisions about this topic. (Ref. Policy 1430, 4220 and 4220P)
· Past School Board Director Sarah Bedinger thanked Directors Johnson, Bridge and Jeffers for their service.
· Past School Board Director Virginia O’Neil thanked Directors Johnson, Bridge and Jeffers for their service.
BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
· President Horan thanked Directors Jeffers, Johnson and Bridge for their contributions to the school board.
· Director Jeffers remarked that during her term on the board, many significant issues had come up that the board worked on together.
· Director Howe expressed disappointment with the outcome of the bond and his hope that the new board will consider a Plan B to address our facilities issues.
· Director Howe announced that he will be resigning his position as Legislative Representative, effective immediately.
· Director Bridge expressed his appreciation to Directors Jeffers and Johnson
· Director Bridge commended Olympic Peninsula Academy on their Veteran’s Day assembly.
CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business at the request of any Board member.
Director Howe requested that Item ‘c’ on the Consent Agenda be moved to New Business. Director Bridge moved to approve the Consent Agenda as amended. Director Johnson seconded. Vote taken; motion carried.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 184772 thru No. 184787 in the total amount of $32.969.23; and No. 184788 thru No. 184912 in the total amount of $295,782.70.
b. ASB Fund Vouchers No. 10276 thru No. 10289 in the total amount of $20,338.74.
There was none at this time.
a. Director Johnson moved to approve overnight travel for the Sequim High School Wrestling team travel to Blaine, Washington to participate in a wrestling tournament December 11-12, 2015, as presented. Director Bridge seconded. Discussion followed. Vote taken; motion carried.
b. Sequim High School Boys Basketball team request overnight travel to Anacortes, Washington to participate in a basketball tournament December 21-22, 2015 as presented – Dave Ditlefsen, High School Athletic Director
c. Director Johnson moved to approve Resolution 01-2015-2016 Regarding WSSDA Expenses for Newly Elected School Board Directors as presented. Director Bridge seconded. Discussion followed. Vote taken; motion carried.
d. Director Bridge moved to approve the Budget Extension Request as presented. Director Johnson seconded. Discussion followed. Vote taken; motion carried.
e. Director Bridge moved to approve Resolution 02-2015-2016 Debt Service Fund as presented. Director Johnson seconded. Discussion followed. Vote taken; motion carried.
f. Formerly item ‘c’ on the Consent Agenda. Director Bridge moved to approve the Agreement between Sequim School District and A2Z Fencing to construct fencing around the portables at Helen Haller Elementary School, as presented. Director Johnson seconded. Discussion followed. Vote taken; motion carried.
a. Patsene Dashiell, Communications Director and chairman of the 2015 United Way Campaign, announced that a record amount was raised this year during the one-week campaign, with 169 school district employees participating. Discussion followed.
b. Sonja Bittner, School Nurse, advised the board of the state immunization requirements for students and adults. Annually, the district is required to report the percentage of students who are considered noncompliant. The Clallam County Health Department will be auditing school districts on the accuracy of their Immunization Reports this year. Discussion followed.
c. Dave Ditlefsen, High School Athletic Director, reported on the fall athletic season including information about participation, team GPA, record and outlook for each sport. Discussion followed.
d. Superintendent Gary Neal thanked outgoing directors Heather Jeffers, John Bridge and Walter Johnson and presented them with a plaque, in recognition of their service to the Sequim School District. Discussion followed.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
President Horan drew board members’ attention to:
a. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o November 19th through 22nd – WSSDA Annual Conference in Bellevue, Washington
o December 7 – 6pm Regular Board Meeting/Seating of New Board Members
o December 21 – 6pm Regular Board Meeting
o January 5 – 6pm Regular Board Meeting
b. Student Enrollment Report taken November 2, 2015
c. Free & Reduced lunch status report for November
FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
Student Board Representative Ben Hughes gave an update on where he is in the process of applying to the Annapolis Naval Academy. Discussion followed
ADJOURNMENTDirector Johnson moved to adjourn the Regular Meeting at 7:12pm. Director Jeffers seconded. Vote taken; motion carried.