Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised March 17, 2017 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
March 20, 2017
Agenda – Regular Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. 2016-2017 BUDGET HEARING. The Board of Directors will open the Hearing for the 2016-2017 Sequim School District General Fund Budget Extension, in order to receive public comments.
5. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
6. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
7. PUBLIC COMMENTS – The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Comments will be taken in the following order:
1) Regarding Agenda items
2) Regarding general items
Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P).
8. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
a. Appointed Board Candidate Interviewsb. Board president response to any action items from public comments
c. Regular board communication
d. Review last meeting’s exit slips
9. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 187840 thru No.187934 in the total amount of $203,776.13.
b. ASB Fund Vouchers No. 10790 thru No. 10812 in the total amount of $19,522.73.c. Capital Projects Fund Vouchers No. 2603 thru No. 2603 in the total amount of $3,000.00.
d. Personnel – Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1) Offer Sequim High School JV Girls Basketball coach position to Peter Harker, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective February 2, 2017 as presented.
2) Accept Letter of Resignation from Linda Moats, Sequim High School Swim coach, effective immediately, as presented.
3) Offer Title 1 Math Long-Term Substitute position to David Johnson, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective February 23, 2017 as presented.
4) Offer Sequim High School Assistant Track coach position to Chad Aubin, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective February 27, 2017 as presented.
5) Approve Request for Reduction in Hours from 1.0 to .6 FTE for Julie Romberg, Sequim High School English teacher, effective for the 2017-2018 school year, as presented.
6) Offer Classified CTE/AG Paraeducator position to Candace Seelye, for the 2016-2017 school year, effective February 28, 2017 as presented.
7) Accept Letter of Resignation from Susan Ackerman-Cook, Helen Haller Night Custodian, effective June 30, 2017, for the purpose of retirement, as presented.
8) Accept Letter of Resignation from Breva Funston, Helen Haller Elementary Paraeducator, effective June 15, 2017 as presented.
9) Accept Leave of Absence Request from Laura Wright, Sequim High School Paraeducator, from May 12, 2017 through the end of the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
10) Accept Letter of Resignation from Stephanie Stockdale, Sequim Middle School Paraeducator, effective at the end of the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.11)
Approve One-Year Leave of Absence Request from Justine Wagner, Sequim High School Physical Education teacher, for the 2017-2018 school year, as presented.
10. OLD BUSINESS
a. For Second Reading and Adoption, Recommend DELETE Policy #5211 – Transfers. WSSDA recommends that the policy be deleted because most transfers and reassignments for represented personnel are regulated by collective bargaining agreements and this policy can create confusion if it runs counter to such provisions. Non-represented personnel work in such varied and assorted positions that a comprehensive policy is difficult to apply to all situations.
b. For Second Reading and Adoption, Recommend DELETE Policy #5215 – Assignment and Transfer of Certificated Administrative Staff. WSSDA recommends that the policy be deleted because it is an unnecessary reiteration of the procedure and process for transfer of certificated administrative staff pursuant to RCW 28A.405.230.
c. For Second Reading and Adoption, Recommend DELETE Policy #5230 – Job Descriptions/Responsibilities. WSSDA recommends that the policy be deleted due to the fact that Human Resources departments regularly modify job descriptions, so listing them in policy is inappropriate.
d) Recommend Tabling update of Policy #6801 –Capital Assets/Theft Sensitive Assets. OSPI raised concerns that districts’ policies did not require that these assets be specifically identified. WSSDA worked with OSPI to develop revisions to Policy and Procedure #6801 to address these audit issues. Sequim is in the process of determining how those assets will be tracked, so further work is required before this policy is ready to be approved. Classified Essential. Heidi Hietpas, Executive Director of Finance and Operations
11. NEW BUSINES
a. Approve Sequim School District Technology Plan for 2017-2020, as presented.
b. Approve Resolution No. 03-2016/2017 Budget Extension
a) Superintendent’s Report
13. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. PDC Filing for Board members is open online. Due April 15th
b. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o March 30 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o April 3 – No Board Meeting – Spring Break!
o April 13 -- Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o April 17 – 6:00pm Regular Board meeting
o April 24 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o May 11 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o Saturday, May 20 – WSSDA Regional Meeting in Bremerton
o May 25 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o June 8 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
o June 22 – Strategic Planning Meeting from 8:15am to 11:45am at Sequim Transit Center
d. March Enrollment Data
e. March Free & Reduced Lunch percentages
f. Other items of interest:
o March 22-25 – Sequim High School Band to Heritage Festival in Anaheim
o March 29 – Sequim High School Choir Concert @ 7pm in the auditorium
o March 30 – Sequim High School Band Concert @ 7pm in the auditorium
o April 3-7 – Spring Break! District Office OPEN
14. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
o Meeting Exit Slips
15. EXECUTIVE SESSION
It will be necessary at this time to recess to an Executive Session as per RCW 42.30.110(g) for approximately 30 minutes, in order to evaluate the qualifications of a candidate for appointment to the board, with action anticipated.
16. APPOINTMENT OF NEW BOARD MEMBER AND SWEARING IN