Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised November 18, 2016 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
Monday, November 21, 2016 ~ 5:30pm Board Planning Workshop:
• WSSDA Annual Conference reports
• Board Assessment of late summer goals (not to be confused with talking/debriefing on WSSDA self-assessment)
• STEM Project Lead the Way
• Board meeting start times (Ref. Policy 1400)
• Agenda analysis (Ref. Procedure 1420P)
Board Reorganization (Ref. 1210)
6:30 PM Regular Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (REF. POLICY 1420)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Request approval of the minutes from the November 7, 2016 Regular Board Meeting, as presented
4. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
5. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
a. Tech Buddies – Award of the $10,000 Grant to AP Computer Science – Mark Knudson, High School Computer Science
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS - The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Comments will be taken in the following order:
1) Regarding Agenda items
2) Regarding general items
Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P).
7. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
8. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business at the request of any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 187131 thru No. 187230 in the total amount of $294,565.35.
b. ASB Fund Vouchers No. 10672 thru No. 10680 in the total amount of $11,763.49.
c. October Payroll in the total amount of $2,162,283.90.
d. Personnel – Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1. Accept Letter of Resignation from Debbie Buchillo, Helen Haller Elementary Building Secretary, effective January 31, 2017 as presented.
9. OLD BUSINESS2.
Accept Letter of Resignation from Kathy Lopez, Special Needs Aide and Bus Driver, effective November 25, 2016 as presented.
Approve Request to Continue Leave of Absence to the end of the 2016-2017 school year from Isabella Morrison, Sequim Middle School Science teacher, as presented.
Accept Letter of Resignation from Andrea Dietzman, Sequim Middle School Paraeducator, effective November 21, 2016 as presented.
a. None at this time.
10. NEW BUSINESS
a. Adopt Eureka Math as the District K-5 Math Curriculum, as presented on November 7, 2016.
b. Introduce Policy #2140 – Guidance and Counseling. This policy is revised to reflect the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model of Counseling core principles, and has been vetted by our school counselors and school psychologists, who recommend approval. pasting. Classified Discretionary. Sonja Bittner, School Nurse
c. Introduce Policy #3420 – Anaphylaxis Prevention and Response. ESB 5104, which went into effect July 28, 2013, gives districts the ability to better prepare for student anaphylaxis events. The intent of the new law is to ensure that all students have greater access to the life-saving drug during an anaphylactic attack. It allows designated, trained school personnel to administer epinephrine from the school supply to students previously diagnosed with life-threatening allergies. Classified Essential. Sonja Bittner, School Nurse.
c. Fall & Winter Sports Report – Dave Ditlefsen, High School Athletic Director
d. Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Financial Statements -- Heidi Hietpas, Interim Executive Director of Finance and Operations
15-16 Financial Statements
2. Fund Balance Descriptions
4. Year End General Fund Budget Status Report
Other Funds Report
e. Monthly Budget Status Report
September General Fund Comparative Report
September 2016 Budget Status Reports
f. Superintendent’s Report
12. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o December 5 – 6:30 pm Regular Board Meeting
o TUESDAY, January 3 – 6:30pm Regular Board Meeting (Changed from Monday, January 2 due to Holiday)
January 17 – 6:30pm Regular Board Meeting (Changed from Monday, January 16 due to Holiday)
b. Free & Reduced lunch status report for November
d. ♥ February 14 -- Levy Election Day!
14. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER