On February 11, the Sequim School District Board of Directors adopted resolution 03-2013-2014 authorizing an election to be held April 22, 2014. The election would ask voters to approve or reject the issue of $154,325,000 in bonds to finance the construction of projects recommended by the Community Facilities Committee. You can view a copy of the resolution here.
In April 2013, Superintendent Kelly Shea publicly requested volunteers from the community serve on a committee to formulate a long range facilities plan. 15 community members responded and formed the committee. This page provides informational resources and documents that the Committee used to create its recommendation. These documents have been provided to the district's Board of Directors. As more information becomes available it will be added to this page.
Questions or comments about the contents of this page or the Committee's recommendation? Please e-mail Brian Lewis, Director of Business Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call at 360-582-3266.
Videos-A series of brief videos detailing the reasons why specific projects are included in the April 2014 Construction Bond proposal.
- Why Renovate and Add On to Sequim High School? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_meAxqUR9U
- Why Renovate Sequim High School? The Band Room Edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTt9F51XQI
- Why Renovate Sequim High School? The Base Kitchen Edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9PxIRO_Qw
- Why Build a New Sequim Schools Stadium? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_qKEnzaSY
- Why Build a New Elementary School to Replace Helen Haller? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfx0nCjE5ME
- Why Add On To and Improve Greywolf Elementary? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELvpy5VGsg
Research Documents-Studies showing a strong link between adequate, appropriate facilities and academic achievement
Project List and Funding Amounts
-The School Board determined funding amount for each project. This is the amount of bond resources allocated to each project and differs from the final model cost estimates in that the Board exercised its discretion to alter the funded amounts from cost estimate amount.
- Provide adequate space for students in the district's elementary schools due to population growth, the anticipated implementation of full day Kindergarten in 2015, and respond to security enhancements.
- Provide adequate, secure space to house the district's high school students under one roof and support the delivery of educational services.
Facilities Committee Preferred Main Campus Plan - Diagrams showing the Facilities Committee's preferred plans for revising the district's main campus based on elementary, middle, and high school zone assignment, traffic circulation, and a proposed concept for placement of a new high school building.
2008 Facilities Committee Summary Report-A summary of the 2008 Facilities Committee Report to the district's Board of Directors, identifying many of the same concerns as the 2013 Committee.
Bond Tax Rate Estimates February 11, 2014-A presentation from Mr. Jon Gores of DA Davidson & Co. The presentation details the estimated tax rate to repay bonds of $154,325,000 at 20 and 25 year repayment schedules, and $150,575,000 at 20 and 25 year repayment schedules.