Sequim School District Food Service
Sequim School District Food Service is operated by Sodexo, a company that provides food service world wide to facilities such as schools, colleges, corporations and hospitals. It is Sodexo’s goal to provide well balanced meals for their customers. With the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act (HHFKA), we have seen many changes to the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) over the last couple of years. HHFKA has come at a time when one third of American children are considered either overweight or obese and one quarter are at risk for hunger. Nutritional changes we have seen include:
1. Offer vs. serve: The move from nutrient standards to food-based standards ensures that balanced meals are offered daily.
2. A 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetables is required for all lunch meals.
3. Half of all grains offered are to be whole grain rich.
4. The establishment of minimum and maximum calorie ranges for each age level at both breakfast and lunch.
5. Maximum limits set for saturated and trans fat at breakfast and lunch.
1. Most grains offered have to be whole grain rich. We are striving for 80% this year, and 100% by 2015-16.
2. A 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable is now required for both breakfast and lunch meals.
3. The establishment of maximum sodium levels for each age levels at both breakfast and lunch.
We are striving to make the meals that are served here at Sequim School District are healthy and nutritious for all students. We have cook-to-order Stir Fry Days at the Middle School and High School each month, offer pre-made salads, home-made wraps and sandwiches at all grade levels, a large variety of salad bars at all grade levels and lots of home-made meals.
We have a point of sale operation at all of the schools. This system helps to track the free and reduced applications, student meal accounts, and other sales. A student can put any amount of money on their account and then draw from their account. We can also track when deposits were made and when the student bought their meal.
Free and reduced price meal forms may be picked up in the school and district offices.
Meal prices for 2015-16: